Through higher education, young citizens gain a wider understanding of both their country and the world around them.
By introducing our globally-recognised Internationalising Higher Education programme to Jordan, we are now linked with public and private universities and governmental bodies as well as partners in the UK.
This has helped us develop our expertise in the areas of:
- Quality assurance
- Academic research
- Employability and career development
- Leadership and management.
As part of this programme we aim to:
- Work with concerned stakeholders and UK partners on strategy and policy development
- Encourage local and international discussion and debate around higher education issues and challenges
- Support government policies for increased growth in employment through skills-based qualifications
- Take part in professional networks and dialogue that promote information sharing
- Encourage employers to be engaged in Higher Education to develop “Employability Led Curricula”
Our continuous contribution for the second year 2018/2019 in Building Capacity of the Directors and Staff of Faculty Development and Quality Assurance Centres at Jordanian Universities .
The overall aim of the programme is to implement an advanced capacity building training programme for the Directors of FDQACs and to co-create a university led proposal for a National Centre of Excellence for Learning and Teaching (NCELT) to be presented to the Secretary General of the MoHESR by March 2019.
The programme will continue opening doors for us to showcase our expertise internationally. As a result of undertaking evaluation of this training programme last year that was embedded within feedback from the participants, the trainers and observers from the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, the evaluation identified the need to focus on applied, practice-based learning as the next step. Based on this result three practical workshops will be conducted in October 2018, December 2018, and February 2019, during which they will be hosted in three Jordanian Universities.
National Education Employer Dialogue (NEED)
In focusing upon the Graduate Enterprise Services dimension of the entrepreneurial university model (Al-Dajani et al, 2014) in Jordan, the Core Group of the British Council (Jordan) sponsored Jordanian Entrepreneurial University Programme identified these burgeoning services in Jordan’s universities, alongside the need for academic and professional services staff capacity building, to enhance the impact and effectiveness of these services. As such, the Core Group designed the National Education Employer Dialogue (NEED) series during their meeting in December 2016 in Amman to focus on this priority.
The first capacity building workshop was held on 27&28 March 2017, for higher education academics and professional services staff focusing on ‘embedding employability in higher education’.
For more information about NEED 1 workshop please read our full report here.
For more information about NEED 2 seminar please read our full report here.
We will be conducting NEED 3 seminar on “Mentoring within Higher Education” in December 2018.
Training Programme for Directors of Academic Practice Centres in Jordanian Universities” 2017/2018
As part of the "Internationalisation of Higher Education” Project in Jordan, British Council has signed a Memorandum of Understanding “MoU” with the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research on 11 Oct, 2017.
The MoU promoted the British Council’s role as a partner to the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, specifically British Council’s contribution to the national vision of the Jordanian Ministry of Higher Education in building the capacity of the 32 Directors of Faculty Development and Quality Assurance Centres at the Jordanian Universities.
This training programme aimed to develop the directors’ fit-for-purpose leadership and management skills, and enhance their knowledge and appreciation of contemporary higher education learning strategies, and how to plan, monitor and evaluate these.
Three training workshops were conducted in the period between October 2017-February 2018 and in partnership with Plymouth University:
- Workshop 1 at the University of Jordan: Higher Education Learning Strategies in the 21st Century.
- Workshop 2 at the Hashemite University: Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation for Faculty Development and Quality Assurance Centres at Jordanian Universities
- Workshop 3 at the Applied Science Private University: Leadership and Management Training for Directors of the Faculty Development and Quality Assurance Centres at Jordanian Universities
This year we will implement the advanced capacity building training programme for the Directors of FDQACs in Jordan’s universities, consisting of 3 consecutive workshops to be delivered by March 2019. Each workshop will include practical, hands-on sessions to enhance peer mentoring, and to allow for the monitoring and evaluation of the participants’ learning.
Three workshops will be conducted from October 2018- February 2019 under the below titles:
- Workshops 1: Applied Higher Education Learning Strategies in the 21st Century
- Workshop2 : Planning, Monitoring and Evaluating Research and Innovation Services for Faculty Development and Quality Assurance Centres at Jordanian Universities.
- Workshop 3: Applied Leadership Training for Directors of the Faculty Development and Quality Assurance Centres at Jordanian Universities
Read more about our activities on the British Council Internationalising Higher Education website.
Send us a message for more information about our work with the programme or to find out how you can take part in our events and activities.