In countries around the world, youth unemployment and skills gaps are threatening the growth of economies, the stability of societies and the wellbeing and prospects of individuals.
We build trust and international opportunities that support efforts to enhance the skills and employability of young people.
British Council and Al Hussein Technical University Partnership
In January 2018, British Council in Partnership with SEMTA UK conducted scoping visits to meet with representatives from Al Hussein Technical University (HTU) and their key industrial stakeholders. The focus of these visits is to share approaches to the development and delivery of HTU’s apprenticeship framework for its Level 4 and Level 5 Technical Degree, initially in the area of Mechanical Engineering.
Development of HTU Apprenticeship Framework
British Council and in partnership with SEMTA aim to support the development of HTU’s Apprenticeship framework which will result in:
- Improvements to teaching practices through encouraging dual professionalism in both pedagogic skills and an up to date understanding of current industrial practices.
- Development and delivery of industry-led curriculum.
- Development of the skills and processes required to effectively engage with industry in the growth of employer led standards, curriculum and qualifications.
- Development of UK and Jordan education networks.
- Enhancing employer engagement opportunities.
- Establish a system of resource flow between the University and the Industry.
- Involve employers in the training and assessment process.
- Implementing a pilot apprenticeship programme for 5 weeks during Sep-Oct 2018 as a step towards imbedding the full apprenticeship programme that will start in Feb 2019.
Leadership Exchange Programme
The British Council’s Leadership Exchange Programme (LEP) is an opportunity for leaders and senior managers from Training and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) institutions overseas to interact with their UK counterparts. The LEP aims to facilitate learning, the sharing of knowledge, ideas and best practice between the two countries. Through this programme, leaders will be empowered to be more critical, and innovative around the holistic management and future development of their institutions.
The Outcomes of LEP
- Effective and efficient leadership in TVET Universities, colleges within Jordan.
- Exchange of best practice amongst senior TVET Universities, College Managers and principals in UK and in Jordan.
- Development of long-lasting sustainable partnerships between institutions in Jordan and the UK.
- Sustainability of efficient and effective University, College management, drawing on UK and Jordanian experience.
Participants of the Leadership Exchange Programme for this year are:
Ammon Applied University college: AAUC was established in 1980 as Ammon College where it first offered a Diploma degree in Hotel Management and developed overtime to become a University college under the name of Jordan Applied University college of Hospitality and Tourism Education offering two bachelor degree programs in Hotel Management and in Tourism Management and recently a bachelor degree in Events Management. Click here for further information.
Khawarizmi College: this college was established in 1978 and highly reputed nationwide for its proven educational track record – owned by Arab Consultants. The offered vocational certifications focus on hands-on experience and project-based evaluation, driven by an inspired, forward-thinking approach that anticipates modern workplace needs, far from theoretical learning and traditional examination norms. Click here for further information.
West Herts College: is a college in Watford, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom. The College has campuses in Watford, Hemel Hempstead and Kings Langley. Their vision is to play a leading role in transforming the lives of local people, their communities and their shared economic prosperity. They’ll do this by working in partnership with employers to meet the needs of their community through innovation, outreach and technology. Click here for further information.
Hertford Regional College: is a medium-sized, general further education college with two campuses in Broxbourne and Ware, Hertfordshire. HRC offers a wide range of high quality professional and technical education and training. Their curriculum offer includes; study programmes, apprenticeships, adult learning programmes, provision for learners with high needs, school non-attenders, NEET provision, higher education and commercial programmes. Click here for further information.